Happy Birthday to one of my favorite author’s!!! Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would have been 147 today!
So I have yet to have read all of Sherlock Holmes’s adventures, but I remember reading the Hound of the Baskervilles for the first time in 8th grade and LOVED it! Now every time I see Basil Rathbone on TV, the remote drops to the floor as I sit enthralled for hours! And don’t tell me you don’t think DATA didn’t do a good job as the 19th century gumshoe with Geordy at his side as the loveable Dr. Watson!
Here are some fun quizzes!
Check out Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s greatest detective of all time at Wikipedia for a short synopsis!!!
In A Study in Scarlet, Dr. Watson makes an evaluation of Sherlock's skills:
Sherlock Holmes—his limits
1. Knowledge of Literature.—Nil.
2. Knowledge of Philosophy.—Nil.
3. Knowledge of Astronomy.—Nil.
4. Knowledge of Politics.—Feeble.
5. Knowledge of Botany.—Variable. Well up in belladonna, opium, and poisons generally. Knows nothing of practical gardening.
6. Knowledge of Geology.—Practical, but limited. Tells at a glance different soils from each other. After walks, has shown me splashes upon his trousers, and told me by their colour and consistence in what part of London he had received them.
7. Knowledge of Chemistry.—Profound.
8. Knowledge of Anatomy.—Accurate, but unsystematic.
9. Knowledge of Sensational Literature.—Immense. He appears to know every detail of every horror perpetrated in the century.
10. Plays the violin well.
11. Is an expert singlestick player, boxer, and swordsman.
12. Has a good practical knowledge of British law.
Of course, this is less that accurate as you start reading his adventures. Holmes is schooled in many of these areas! But according to him - his brother, Mycroft, is the real genius! Haha!
Have fun and Happy Birthday, Doyle!!!