Thursday, January 12, 2006

At least SOMEONE got it right!

Please read this awesome article about how singletons are viewed in movies.
I find this enlightening that someone noticed, other than me!

Modern gal: frustrated and dated
Terrorised or teased, single women on film are cast in a narrow stereotype, writes Wesley Morris.

American movies do right by a lot of things - war, westerns, young women running for their lives. The lives of single people, meanwhile, are a different story.

Bridget Jones, she of the stammering, self-doubt and face-first collapses, is what passes for a sophisticated representation of being single: the bachelorette as Jerry Lewis.

Bridget, now at The Edge of Reason, is the natural byproduct of a medium that's never quite known what to do with unmarried characters other than marry them off. Or kill them.

In 1977, when Diane Keaton went Looking for Mr Goodbar, the search ended in blood. And Julianne Moore, the ambitious and nosy friend in The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, died a grisly death as she closed in on Rebecca De Mornay's plot to conquer a suburban household. So if Bridget Jones doesn't have a husband and she's not dead, then there's only one place for her to go: crazy.


READ WHOLE ARTICLE AND RESPOND, O WOMENKIND!!!

10 comments:

Spoony Quine said...

` I never have watched any of those movies, but I find this trend to be quite disturbing.
` I hope I wind up with someone instead of dying, myself.

Aaron said...

Ya, I don't want to die either.

totalvo said...

this is great stuff.. I may have to repost.. I need to get busy and start posting more often.

Aaron said...

6000 hits! WOOOOO!!

Spoony Quine said...

` Almost 3,000 hits! Woo!

` By the way, NEW POST WITH PICTURES!

Spoony Quine said...

` ANd now... new post with some sadness...

Anonymous said...

The thing is, how many people really want to be alone when the credits roll? man or woman. I agree with the author, but she leaves out the fact that many men relate to the female characters too. what about that? In a way characters in art are sexless. the sex of a character is really only meant to symbolize aspects of humanity. I think that all the characters are meant to be related to by the audience, regardless of sex. They all represent something in humanity as a whole.

I agree on the surface with what the author said, but I think the author failed to address the deeper meaning of femininity and masculinity and how it relates to the individual; how it represents aspects in all of us.

I agree too that Eternal Sunshine is one of Hollywoods more dynamic relationship movies ever made.

Spoony Quine said...

` Still, I am thinking that if I don't find someone or die, I may go crazy. Just for the hell of it.

Spoony Quine said...

` New post again!! Hey, Cassie, please come out of hiding!! Show yourself!! Leave a comment somewhere so we know you're okay!

Blackpetunia said...

Quine, I just realized that when you say NEW POST, you mean something different than the rest of us.