Friday, February 03, 2006

Why do I come to work hungover?


I am old, people. Why do I insist on going to the bar during the work week, only to get up early the next day and feel like shit?

I don’t want to talk to anyone. I can’t concentrate on work. I feel like azz, and I SHOULD be hydrating myself with water, but nothing tastes as good as a Dr. Pepper! On top of everything else, I have an uncontrollable urge to go get Taco Bell.

???

Taco Bell is for AFTER I leave the bar! Not for DURING the work day! Geez!!! I really feel like eating a Crunch Wrap – even though normally they repulse me.

I have been sooper busy with work, which is why I haven’t posted lately –
But for some reason, this morning I feel like I can put aside childish ideas that I NEED to get this stuff done, and write on my blog.
I mean, I gotta be true to you guys, too – right?

So. Meh.
I don’t want to write anymore.
Here are some quizzes about hangovers:

Cheerz

***** You are a Five Star Hangover
You are incomprehesable, which doesn't matter anyway because you can't hear anyone's conversation over the pounding of your own head. it feels like Noah has set the Arc loose in your stomach, and it takes all the energy you posess to maintain breathing. You stare blankly from your bloodshot eyes as you promise God never to drink again and plead with him to bring you death.


What type of Hangover are you?
brought to you by Quizilla


I am the "I'll NEVER drink again" type.

Sure you wont. Wanna go have a beer? Sure you

do.


Whats your hangover personality?
brought to you by Quizilla


Here’s some trivia about hangovers (there's a LOT of it)

Hangover
A hangover is characterized by the combination of unpleasant physical and mental symptoms that occur after a bout of heavy alcohol drinking .

Physical symptoms include fatigue, headache, increased sensitivity to light and sound, redness of the eyes, muscle aches, thirst, shaking, and sweating.

Mental symptoms include dizziness, a sense of the room spinning and possible mental disorientation and mood swings (depression, anxiety, and irritability).

Experience of hangover intensity depends on personal characteristics of the drinker, the type of alcoholic beverage consumed and the amount a person drinks.

Typically, a hangover begins within several hours after the cessation of drinking, when a person's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is falling. Symptoms usually peak about the time BAC is zero and may continue for up to 24 hours thereafter.

Hangover symptoms are LESS likely to occur, if a person drinks only small, nonintoxicating amounts with a low alcohol content.

People experiencing a hangover feel ill and unable to perform tasks adequately (e.g. car driving). As a result, their risk of injury increase.

Hangover trivia


A hangover consists of dehydration (body needs more water), malnutrition (body lacks nutrients) and withdrawal (body is trying to cope without alcohol).

After a night of drinking, stomach can not absorb nutrients it needs, therefore eating after drinking does not provide body with nutrients.

Time is the most important component. Cold shower or a cup of coffee might wake you up a bit, but will not decrease the hangover.

Hangover symptoms usually disappear over 8 to 24 hours. So have plenty of rest and wait it out.



Hangover Prevention Techniques
Hangover symptoms are LESS likely to occur, if a person drinks only small, nonintoxicating amounts with a low alcohol content.


Eat a good meal an hour prior to drinking.

After drinking, drink at least 2 glasses of water before bed (to avoid dehydration) and, when you wake up through the night to pee, drink 1 more glass of water

Eat some fruit (banana) or fruit juice before bed so to decrease hangover intensity. Also, bland foods, such as toast or crackers, can possibly relieve nausea.

Antacids may decrease nausea and inflammation of stomach. DO NOT USE Tylenol, Aspirin and Ibuprofen to reduce the headache and muscle aches since they cause damage to liver, especially if nausea or upper abdominal pain is present

Readministration of small alcohol amount may decrease a hangover, but further alcohol use should be avoided, so not to enhance the existing toxicity by the alcohol.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a five star hangover and I also have a munchies hangover. They asked me if I was sure it was only booze I had...

Blackpetunia said...

Man, what are you guys doing on Thursday nights?
I had a PMS hangover, but that's about it.

totalvo said...

This post is extremly useful. That is one of the things about denver, it is really easy to tie one on in that town.. I would have to say denver is the "tie one on city" I have tied one on more times then I can count in that town. I think that tieing one on is something that really is part oof the mile high city culture. Since I have lived here in PA I think I have had 2 hangovers in 9 months, in denver, and this is me admitting that I probally had a serious problem, about 2-3 times a month a hangover, DENVER LOVES BOOZE GETTING DRUNK, IT IS A DRINKING TOWN.I love denver for that.. DRINK UP AND BE SOMEBODY.

heather said...

I try to keep my hangovers to a Sunday only experience. And as long as I stay away from tequila & cigarettes I don't get much of one to begin with..