Friday, August 04, 2006

¡Chao Bella!

Holy Crap. I am hung over. But it was well worth it.

I got a call from my friend Jessica yesterday, inviting me to go see Manu Chao at The Fillmore. Can I just say, What a FUN show! I’ve heard a few of their songs from miscellaneous mix CDs (I wrote ‘tapes’ and then realized that wasn’t the case anymore) mainly from Amber. I was pleasantly surprised at their show, and the diverse crowd it attracted! Latinos, Hipsters, Baby Boomers and of course – The Hippies. I haven’t been to such a large gathering of Hippies since I went to Madeski Martin and Wood!

But OH! Such joy! Such fun! Such free drinks because Jessica’s old boss was one of the bartenders!

I highly recommend Manu Chao if you’re interested in latin music! Here’s a brief description of what he sounds like, from Wikipedia! Or listen HERE

Manu Chao sings in French, Spanish, Arabic, Galician, Portuguese, English, and Wolof, often mixing them in the same song. His music has many influences: rock, French chanson, Iberoamerican salsa, reggae, and ska, and Algerian raï. These influences were obtained from immigrants in France, his Iberian relations, and foremost his travels in Mesoamerica as a wandering nomad following the disbanding of Mano Negra.

Though Manu Chao is one of the world's best selling artists, he is less well-known in the English-speaking world. Tours in the United States with Mano Negra never led to much success in that country, and Chao seems inclined to focus his efforts in Europe and Latin America, where his musical style finds its roots and his left-wing populism is more widely greeted. Though his live performances in the US are exceedingly rare, Chao is scheduled to play a handful of dates in that country in 2006, including a headlining spot for Lollapalooza 2006.

5 comments:

Aaron said...

ce type semble étrange

2 Dollar Productions said...

I'm impressed enough by anyone who can speak that many languages much less sing in them.

But I'm not sure if I would like the music because it would just remind me how culturally ignorant I am because I only speak English and broken Spanish.

Blackpetunia said...

I would be really jealous right now, if I hadn't just returned from Memphis. Tom Waits was amazing, and seeing Darla was too. I will have stories to come on my own little corner. I'm glad you got to see him!

Spoony Quine said...

` Sounds fascinating! I'd listen right now, but there is a sleeping mutant in the apartment.

totalvo said...

I cannot believe that you saw Manu in concert.. I am jealous.. seriously one of my all time favorite bands.. UGGGGGHHHHHH.. iam so envious of your musical experiences...