Friday, November 04, 2005

OCD = No Wire Hangars


Just kidding. That was just crazy Joan Crawford!

Hemingway, i was watching The Aviator a couple days ago, and if you've never seen it, DO! It's a great movie! I had no idea Howard Hughes was such a weirdo! It got me thinking about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Now, i've always thought i had a little bit of this inside me, but it's NOTHING compared to what this disorder is really all about. I guess i used to think extreme cases were bizarre, yet not so bad. i mean, i love the show Monk, and i always thought if you just controlled it a little, it wasn't a big deal. But The Aviator showed me that ESPECIALLY in extreme cases, it is a very very scarry disorder.

i don't know how these people live day to day, and what they do if they don't have any money/income! they can barely leave the house! Yikes!

I mean, that crappy movie with Jack Nicholson did NOTHING to show you how bad this disorder can really be:

"Hughes became addicted to codeine (injections), valium, and other painkillers, was extremely frail, stored his urine in jars and wore Kleenex boxes as shoes (although it has been reported that Hughes did this only once, as "protection" when a toilet flooded). He insisted on using paper towels to cover any object before he touched it, to insulate himself from germs.
As he deteriorated, Hughes moved to the Bahamas, Vancouver, London, and several other places, always living in the top floor penthouse with the windows blacked out. Every time he moved out, the hotel seemed to need to remodel to clean up after him.
Hughes died on an aircraft en route from his penthouse in Mexico to Methodist Hospital in Houston on April 5, 1976, at the age of 70. He was unrecognizable, and the FBI insisted on fingerprints to identify Hughes' remains. The autopsy determined kidney failure as the cause of death. His body was in extremely poor condition; X-rays showed broken off hypodermic needles in his arms."

Can you imagine living like that?
Geez.
And i thought my family was anal about how to load the dishwasher properly!

12 comments:

Blackpetunia said...

Good movie, creepy picture.

locomocos said...

so do you like the locomocos graphic? i can't decide if it's too big, and too distracting.

What say you, bloggy friends?

Blackpetunia said...

Personally, I love the picture, but I think it's too big to be on the side, maybe at the top? It's annoying to have to scroll down to see your links.

Aaron said...

I think it's a damn fine piece of artwork, and whoever created it is a genius! I also think the size and proportion is just right. It must've taken the artist several tries to get the picture just right.

Aaron said...

Look no farther than the Spruce Goose to see just how eccentric Howard Hughes was. That plane has a longer wingspan than a 747, and is made almost entirely out of wood. Kooky!

Spoony Quine said...

` I only hope I can perfect a pic that good - it'd be neato if you could put it on the OTHER side of the column... that would require some HTML formatting. That's what I plan to do, I just don't know how.
` I think ya gotta change it from two to three columns or somethin'. Haven't tried. Confuseded.

` Also, the Hercules H-4 was a strange plane. My Phil man, who is a Boeing Engineer, probably knows all about it.

Aaron said...

Wow Quine, you even know the designation. I'm impressed.

If I were you and I wanted to put the picture on the other side of the sidebar, I would create a new sidebar as well. I'd be happy to do the coding for you.

Spoony Quine said...

` THANX0RZZZ Mr A-ron! LUVVVS!!!

` By the way, ironically on the subject of planes, I recently posted a small thingy about the plane Phil is working on!

Spoony Quine said...

` Guesses whats, Casses?
` Today I talked to my mommy on da phone, and she said she tried to watch 'The Aviator'.
` I was like; "How was it?" she said; "I was very impressed with the aeronatuical things Howard Hughes did, but the movie was so boring I had to turn it off halfway. Missed the tissue boxes on his feet."

` Oh, grah.

locomocos said...

really?
How odd.
it's funny what people find interresting.

Josh took me to see Elizabethtown a few weeks ago, and we wanted to walk out of the theatre (but we didn't cause his mom was with us too...) and people in the theatre were actually LAUGHING and gasping and....reacting....to the dumbest movie next to Godzilla. I couldn't believe it.

I like The Aviator. I enjoyed watching an aviation genius slowly go crazy.
but you're right. i'm sure some people would find it boring - it is, afterall - a Scorcese film...he tends to draw things out a bit.

Anonymous said...

For the record, there is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder. (OCPD) The latter is what I would consider Monk with all his perfectionism. It is affecting his life, but not as dibilitating as the OCD.

Aaron said...

well, good for the record.

I saw 'The Aviator'. I thought it was really good. I've always maintained that Leo is a good actor, and I continue to make that assertion.