Friday, January 29, 2021

Vintage Christmas Mantle Madness


 As you can tell, I love Christmas.  One of my favorite spots to decorate is our lovely fireplace mantle.  The fireplace does work, but because it is attached to the upstairs neighbor's fireplace, it's a smoky mess.  SO no fires for either party involved.  Taking a brief look, I'll describe some of my items.

The stocking to the left has been mine since the late nineties.  I got it at Montgomery Ward when I worked there in my teens.  The stocking on the right is newer, and meant for Anthony.  The beautiful mistletoe elf wreath in the middle of the fireplace screen was found at an antique mall in Parkville, MO.  I love it, even if the little plastic elf head keeps popping off.  I have added some greenery to my grandmother's standing cherub ashtray, and the cookie tins have been handed down from my mom.  I usually pack my vintage ornaments in them.  The lighted car with the tree on top was purchased at Hobby Lobby for 66% off, but keeps blowing light bulbs (as you can see on the wheel).  Every year, I have to replace half.  The vintage garland has been wrapped with red, green, and white lights.  It's my favorite combo.  Very classic.  This year, I also flanked my mantle with my plastic candelabra's, courtesy of Ed's mother, Linda.  She got rid of a bunch of fun stuff, but the lights were still in their original boxes!  LOVE IT! I set everything up with a green light pedal, which you can see on the floor next to the cannisters.




My newest acquisition wat this year from River Market Antique Mall in Kansas City, MO I had never been there, and it is my new favorite antique mall.  Most of the items were from the early 20th century, so I had a blast looking at EVERYTHING.  Unfortunately, I had already blown most of my money on Christmas, so I couldn't purchase the MCM lamp and ashtray set I have been lusting over for $450.  UGH.

The new purchase was this awesome Santa wall hanging and musical box.  If you pull the string, it plays Jingle Bells.  This Santa is so fun and I snatched him up for $6.00.



A few years ago in Sedalia, MO, I rescued this darling Santa and Mrs. Claus couple for $4.00 ($2 ea!).  I was so surprised to see them again this year, in the above mentioned antique mall dressed slightly different in burgundy and fancier hair.  It makes sense that these were a kit which you could make to your personal taste.  These two got caught in my flood of '17 and I was crying so hard, but they made it through and are some of my favorite pieces.  I always display them next to my 'Evil' deer and their elves.  I got the deer from a church basement sale for $.50 and the elves at another antique store for $3.  The wonderful rocking horse was purchased at a thrift store in Brevard, NC while visiting my in laws.  The crazy bear, while also 'Evil' looking, was purchased at an antique store on the same trip.




The bottle brush trees were all purchased at Hobby Lobby for their 66% off sale before Christmas.  I like to put my favorite vintage ornaments up where they can be loved for their quirky, slightly deranged looks.  The Topo Gigio mouse, elf clock, and toy soldier head all came from my childhood tree.  The bedazzled house and covered wagon were found at an antique mall in Columbia, MO.  The covered wagon was my favorite for many years, until I found it's twin at a thrift store.  Then I started seeing them all over the place!  I had to practice self restraint, as I had almost wanted to create a Christmas wagon train (it could still happen).

When I visited my dad and step mom for Christmas recently, my step mother had a brilliant idea.  I had been looking for a Christmas picture to put above the mantle instead of my beautiful Asian lady.  My step mom had wrapped her mantle picture in beautiful Christmas wrapping paper, and was hanging Christmas cards on it for the season.  OMG.  What a cheap and easy way to get a fabulous Christmas picture that can change every year!  Paired with some adorable lightweight, felt window hangings from Dollar Tree, I have a DIY smash hit!

Christmas managed!








No comments: