Tuesday, June 06, 2006

ePledge


Hello friends. As per the post below - i need some help. I need sponsors.

Yes I will be riding the MS 150 in Kansas City. Most of you know my dad has MS. But what you DON'T know is a little bit about the disease:


What Is Multiple Sclerosis?
MS is thought to be an autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system (CNS). The CNS consists of the brain, spinal cord, and the optic nerves. Surrounding and protecting the nerve fibers of the CNS is a fatty tissue called
myelin, which helps nerve fibers conduct electrical impulses.
In MS, myelin is lost in multiple areas, leaving scar tissue called sclerosis. These damaged areas are also known as plaques or lesions. Sometimes the nerve fiber itself is damaged or broken.
Myelin not only protects nerve fibers, but makes their job possible. When myelin or the nerve fiber is destroyed or damaged, the ability of the nerves to conduct electrical impulses to and from the brain is disrupted, and this produces the various
symptoms of MS.


What Causes MS?
While the exact cause of MS is unknown, most researchers believe that the damage to
myelin results from an abnormal response by the body’s immune system. Normally, the immune system defends the body against foreign invaders such as viruses or bacteria. In autoimmune diseases, the body attacks its own tissue. It is believed that MS is an autoimmune disease. In the case of MS, myelin is attacked.
Scientists do not yet know what triggers the immune system to do this. Most agree that several factors are involved, including:
Genetics
Gender
Environmental Triggers[Possibilities include
viruses, trauma, and heavy metals ( toxicology)]


Who Gets MS?
Anyone may develop MS, but there are some patterns.
Most people with MS are diagnosed between the ages of 20 and 50.
Two-three times as many women as men have MS.
Studies indicate that genetic factors make certain individuals more susceptible than others, but there is no evidence that MS is directly inherited.
MS occurs more commonly among people with northern European ancestry, but people of African, Asian, and Hispanic backgrounds are not immune.
Approximately 400,000 Americans acknowledge having MS, and every week about 200 people are diagnosed. Worldwide, MS may affect 2.5 million individuals.


For more info on MS, read HERE.


So I ask you to please make an epledge for my ride. $200 is my goal - and seems like a lot. But even if you only pledge $5 - I will be happy! Of course, as the time gets closer to my ride, I will probably turn into the PBS pledge drive, and start offering gifts with the higher amount of pledges! Say - a landscape design for your front yard! Some burned copies of Star Trek the Next Generation (we have all the seasons!)! A New Car!

okay - well maybe not the last one!

But HERE is the link to pledge online. If you have any problems, let me know and I can fix the link. Or you can just Google MS150 and under ePledge you can find a participant! I believe the search is case sensitive, and if you don't know how to spell my name, feel free to email me!!!

Wish me luck! And don't worry, I will probably email this out to everyone periodically as it gets closer to my ride!
heh heh heh......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely sponsor you, but not until after July 15th. Best of luck on reaching your goals! Fundraising's a blast!

Ted said...

The Mrs. and I will definitely make a pledge...

heather said...

I'll definately pleadge too.... I'll email you to get your info, they wanted your address and everything. I think I was looking at the right site?!?